If you love smoked hot dogs and want to learn how to prepare them yourself, then read on for a complete guide for making delicious smoked hot dogs at home.
Your family and guest will love this new recipe and skill as well, and your smoked hot dogs will become everyone’s favorite BBQ dish pretty soon.
We have included everything you need to know to start making smoked hot dogs right away.
Which hot dogs are the best for smoking?
You already know that hot dogs are different in taste and texture, but which ones are suitable for smoking and which are not?
Here are the best hot dog brands and kinds to use for smoking:
- Hebrew National Beef Franks – these are the most commonly used hot dogs for smoking. They offer great taste and will have beautiful looking grill marks
- Ball Park Franks – these are a fan favorite among baseball fans
- Applegate Natural Uncured Beef – these are the top-recommended organic hot dogs for smoking but are also the most expensive ones on the list
- Nathan’s Skinless Beef franks – they are juicy, plump, and even more delicious when smoked
- Kirkland Signature Beef Hot Dogs – the juicy and tasty hot dogs from Costco are a perfect choice for grilling and smoking
- Trader Joe’s All Natural Uncured All Beef Hot Dogs – a meaty and dense choice
- Oscar Mayer Classic Beef Franks – they are suitable because they are slightly smoky and lovely and soft
- Niman Ranch Fearless Uncured Franks – they are made of a delicious mixture of different meats and spices, making them mildly sweet and very juicy
Which type of wood is the most suitable for preparing smoked hot dogs?
The wood which you use for smoking the hot dogs is essential for achieving that unmatched smoky and juicy flavors. Pitmasters prefer using apple, cherry, or oak or a blend of these three kinds of wood when making smoked hot dogs.
Harsher woods such as hickory are not suitable for this purpose.
The temperature and time for smoking hot dogs
Like most smoking, the best results are achieved when making smoked hot dogs using a low and slow cooking technique.
Making perfect smoked hot dogs requires a consistent temperature of 225 degrees Fahrenheit and about 60 to 90 minutes of cooking.
The internal temperature of the hot dogs should be 155 degrees Fahrenheit.
What can the smoked hot dogs be served with?
Smoked hot dogs can be served with all types of condiments and sides, including:
- Onion rings and BBQ sauce
- Bacon and avocado
- Baked beans
- Mac and cheese
- Salsa and avocado
- Caramelized onions and mushrooms
Making smoked hot dogs
- Let the hot dogs sit to reach room temperature
- Mix or use a ready-made dry rub and pour it into a plate
- Roll each hot dog in the rub
- Lay the hot dogs in a pan or sheet
- Preheat the smoker to a temperature of 225 degrees Fahrenheit and let it work for 20 minutes at the desired temperature
- Fill the water pan (you can add garlic or sliced onions in the water)
- Add the wood chips of your choice (apple, cherry, or oak are best)
- Place the hot dogs on the cooking rack and let them cook for 60 minutes
- Try them and if they are not ready, let them cook for another 30 minutes
- Serve the smoked hot dogs in buns with condiments and sides of your choice
Recipe for making smoked hot dogs
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 60-90 minutes
- Hot dogs of your choice
- Onion sliced (for the water pan)
- Garlic cloves (for the water pan)
- Condiments of your choice
For the dry rub:
- Ground black pepper – ½ tablespoon
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
- Paprika – 2 ½ tablespoons
- Garlic powder – ½ tablespoon
- Onion powder – ½ tablespoon
- Cumin – 1 tablespoon
Instructions for making smoked hot dogs
- Set your smoker to 225 degrees Fahrenheit and let it burn for about 20 minutes at this temperature
- Add the wood chunks of your choice (apple, oak, or cherry wood are the most suitable types of wood)
- Fill the water pan, and add the garlic cloves and sliced onion if you want
- Mix the dry rub in a plate and roll each hot dog in it until all of them are covered completely
- Place the hot dogs on the cooking rack
- Cook them for 60 minutes and then try them
- If necessary, cook them for another 30 minutes or until their internal temperature is 155 degrees Fahrenheit
- Serve in buns, and with the condiments you prefer
Related: How Long Do Hot Dogs Last?