A sumptuous treat that will dazzle your family or visitors and leave you all hankering for more is smoked duck breast.
Duck breasts are a gorgeous piece of meat, but you can make them even better by smoking them.
By brining the meat before smoking it, you may improve the flavor of your smoked duck breast even more. With some apple juice, soy sauce, sugar, and spices, you may make your own brine. To properly marinate the duck breast after brining it, cover it in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for about 4 hours.
The skin of the duck breast shouldn’t be clipped or removed before cooking, even though you won’t be eating it. The duck breast meat’s amazing juiciness won’t be lost due to drying out thanks to the skin.
When the meat is done, you can peel the skin off or serve it with the skin, depending on your preferences.
Some of the most suitable woods to use for making smoked duck breasts include apple, cherry, pecan or maple, or any mild and fruity wood.
The smoker should be set to a temperature of 250 degrees Fahrenheit before you place the duck breast inside it.
The internal temperature of the duck breast, which you should aim for, is 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
Keep in mind, that while when cooking chicken the presence of pink juices is a sign that the bird is not done, with duck similar juices are acceptable and normal. Plus, the chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees to be considered safe to eat and properly cooked.
When it is correctly prepared to the recommended temperature, the duck breast will come out medium rare, and as such, will be juicy and tender.
It is a good idea to buy a reliable wireless thermometer that will allow you to monitor the temperature in the smoker as well as the temperature of the meat without the need to open the smoker and let the heat and smoke out.
As for the serving, duck breast s perfect even when served on its own, but you can serve it sliced, in a wrap, on pasta, or even in a salad.
How to prepare smoked duck breast?
- Duck breasts – 1 pcs. Boneless
- Apple juice – 2 cups
- Coarse kosher salt – 1 tablespoon
- White sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Soy sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic powder – ½ teaspoon
- Paprika – ½ teaspoon
- Dried basis – ½ teaspoon
- Ground black pepper – ½ teaspoon
Instructions for making the smoked duck breast
- Mix the apple juice with the dried herbs, salt and sugar until they are blended and dissolved.
- Place the duck breasts in a bowl or dish and pour the ready brine on it. Do this several times, and flip the meat over to make sure that you have brined it properly.
- Cover the bowl or dish with plastic wrap, and let it rest in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Use cherry, apple, maple, or other fruity wood and set the smoker to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the duck breast on the cooking rack.
- Let the meat cook for 2.5 to 3 hours or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let the duck rest before slicing it and serving it.