I love experimenting with food, but sometimes all it takes for a tasty lunch is a traditional recipe to remind us of the good old days.
Pork loin is one of the most delicious parts of the pork, and if you prepare it properly, it turns out tender and soft.
Roasted potato, on the other side, reminds me of spending holidays with my family.
This combination is something my mother liked to prepare for Sunday lunch, so I cook it whenever I feel nostalgic and homesick. A couple of days ago was one of those days.
I wanted to prepare a meal which would make my mom proud, but I also wanted to add my twist without ruining it. I didn’t make too many changes, only slight details when it comes to preparing the roasted potato.
This meal takes relatively long to be cooked, but the preparation time is reasonably short.
So, if you want to tackle it, a lot of cooking will be done while you are washing the dishes or doing some other household chores.
Must Read: Useful tips on how to tell if pork is bad and Learn how long do potatoes last
Pork in Wine and Roasted Potato
A meal that is carried on from one generation to another…
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Servings: 2 people
- 15oz pork loin (cut into slices)
- 20oz potato
- 2 large leeks
- 1 glass red wine (Merlot)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 2oz butter
- Fresh basil (to taste)
- Powder garlic (to taste)
Related: Learn how to preheat an oven
- Season the meat with salt and pepper to taste.
- Peel the potato and cut it quarters.
- Put one layer of leeks in a casserole, and then place the meat on top of it, and cover with one more layer of leeks.
- Put the casserole in a preheated oven (450 degrees).
- Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a pot with water and leave them to boil.
- After the meat is slightly baked, pour one glass of wine on top of it and put it back into the oven.
- When the potatoes soften up a bit (after 15 minutes or so), dry them out and put them in a baking pan.
- Add salt, powdered garlic, butter, and fresh basil to potatoes and put them in a preheated oven.
- Turn the meat pieces a couple of times. The total time of baking is about 50 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven after about 20 minutes. Press each potato mildly with a fork and put them back in the oven for additional ten minutes.
- Serve. 🙂
Related: Meat Cleaver Reviews 2022: Top 5+ Recommended
It is advised to avoid eating this dish at supper because it is so full.
It goes well with red or rose wine. I choose Merlot. Although I used carrots this time, it works nicely with any fresh salad, including cucumber, green salad, and cabbage.
If you want to play around a little, you may add dry bread crumbs to make the potatoes more crispy or season them with chile.
You may also attempt a similar preparation for the meat using beer instead of wine. Although the flavor will be considerably different, the texture will be comparable.
Further Reading: How Many Ounces Are In A Shot?