Getting your meat done properly not only helps it become juicy and delicious but, in many cases, can save you, your family, and guests from mild to serious foodborne sicknesses caused by E.coli, salmonella, or other harmful pathogens.Invalid table id.
A precise and reliable meat thermometer like our top choice for 2022 – the ThermoPro TP20 will help make your cooking, grilling, and smoking experience a much easier task, and will remove the need for guesswork and for the constant monitoring of the meat or other food being prepared.
We have tested a lot of the available kitchen thermometers on the market and have come up with our ultimate top 10 meat thermometer list for this year.
Read along to see which features we liked about these nifty devices, as well as to find out more about how to properly use them, as well as useful tips for choosing the perfect one for you.
The best overall choice for 2022
ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Remote Digital Meat Thermometer
Our top pick for a meat thermometer in 2022 is the wireless digital ThermoPro TP20, which is probably the greatest food thermometer to use if you want to check on your meat or other meal without letting the heat out of the oven, pan, or other.
All you need to do is to put one or both of the probes in the meat and set the transmitter to the temperature you want it to reach. Once the selected temperature level is reached, an alarm will inform you.
The remote control has a 300 ft. range, so you don’t need to stand around the oven for hours while the meat or other food is being prepared.
The thermometer can measure temperatures at a range of 32 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit and has an accuracy of ±1.8 degrees Fahrenheit.
It has an optional timer that can be set to up to 100 hours.
The two probes (curved and straight) are 6.5 inches long, so you reach the middle of a large cut of meat. They are fitted with 40-inch long stainless steel mesh cables which will allow you to reach them from a distance. They are made from food-grade steel and can withstand temperatures up to 716 degrees Fahrenheit. They are sold with a lifetime warranty.
You can use the measuring tool with one or both probes stuck in the meat, or if you prefer, you can use one of the probes to measure the meat temperature and the other to keep an eye on the temperature in the oven, smoker, or other cooking device or utensil.
Thanks to the large LCD display on the transmitter, you will have no problem monitoring the readings of both probes at the same time. It is even backlit so you can use it in darker conditions too. The remote is splash-proof too. The device is powered by 4 AAA batteries which are included in the package.
The ThermoPro thermometer also has 9 preset temperature modes for different types of meat (Beef, Chicken, Pork, Lamb, Veal, Fish, ground beef, and ground poultry) and the levels of the temperature which is recommended by the USDA for the doneness of each type of meat (rare, medium-rare, medium, medium well and well done). Of course, if you have your own preferences, you can reset and customize these presets.
The thermometer itself comes with a 1-year warranty which can be further extended up to 3 if you register your product. Thanks to the invaluable help provided by the customer care service of the manufacturer, you should be able to resolve any issues which you have with setting up or using your wireless TP20 meat thermometer.
The device has been certified in accordance with all US and international food safety standards and has FDA-approved probes. You can choose whether you want the readings to be in Fahrenheit or in Celsius.
The greatest feature of the TP20 thermometer for meat is that you can run other errands or work on other meals and leave it to the remote transmitter to alert you when the right temperature is reached. It is great for barbecuing, smoking, grilling or cooking meat, and all other types of food.
Overall if you want a reliable and easy-to-use meat thermometer that can handle extreme temperatures, and will allow for unattended cooking, the ThermoPro TP20 is the best way to go.
So, say goodbye to the guesswork in cooking and the constant opening of the oven and poking of the meat being cooked with this brilliant, precise, and feature-packed wireless meat thermometer by ThermoPro.
Lavatools PT12 Javelin Digital Instant Meat Thermometer
The runner-up in our top 10 list is the PT12 Javelin digital meat thermometer by Lavatools. This thermometer was formerly known as Thermowand and has been designed and made to provide an accurate reading of ±0.9 degrees Fahrenheit in just four seconds.
The range of measurement which the PT12 Javelin offers is between -40 up to 482 degrees, and the accuracy of the reading improves as the meat’s temperature gets closer to the ambient temperature.
The 1.4-inch display is very easy to read, so you can view the temperature even from a distance.
The 2.75-inch probe is made of 18/8 food-grade stainless steel, and the entire device has an anti-microbial coating which will prevent the growth of harmful bacteria and other microorganisms on the probe and the thermometer. The probe is very thin, so you will do minimal damage or puncturing to the food being cooked when using this thermometer.
The Javelin meat thermometer is sold in six color variants, including butter, indigo, chipotle, sesame, grape, milk, and orange, so you can get the one that will suit your kitchen décor or personal preferences.
The temperature measuring tool runs on a 1 CR2032 3V battery which will run for at least 4,000 hours of continuous use. The product is sold with a lifetime warranty provided by Lavatools.
The Javelin meat thermometer is especially useful and precise for cooking thinner cuts of meat, as its probe may not be long enough to reach the center of a roast or another large cut of meat.
Thanks to its clever design, your fingers will remain safe when you are checking the temperature of your food. The body is made of heat and impact-resistant and BPA-free polymers which will prevent it from warping or getting broken. The thermometer is also IP65 splash resistant, so you don’t have to worry if you accidentally get it wet.
Apart from making sure that your meat is safely and perfectly cooked, you can also use this nifty thermometer for measuring the temperature when baking bread, candy or homebrews as well as for measuring the temperature of the oil in your fryer.
It is NSF-approved as safe for professional and home use. The javelin can be set to measure in Fahrenheit or Celsius depending on your needs. It also has an auto-off function which turns the tool off after 60 minutes of use.
When you are not using the thermometer, you can just stick it on your fridge or on your oven for easy access, as it is magnetized.
This is an inexpensive meat thermometer that comes with a lifetime warranty and offers very precise measurements, which is why we strongly recommend it to all of you looking for a perfect balance between price and quality.
Best budget-friendly choice
ThermoPro TP-02S 5 Seconds Digital Meat Thermometer
We have picked an inexpensive but still useful and precise meat thermometer for those of you who don’t want to break the bank and yet feel sure about the doneness of the meat they are cooking.
The ThermoPro TP-02S is very simple to use and has a very fast readout time of just 4 to 6 seconds. The thermometer can measure temperatures from -58 up to 572 degrees Fahrenheit and thanks to its precise sensor have an accuracy of ±0.9 degrees Fahrenheit.
This compact thermometer has a 5.3-inch probe made of food-grade, FDA-approved stainless steel. It is suitable both for indoor and outdoor use, so you can use it when enjoying a BBQ or smoker session outdoors or when you are preparing a meal in your oven.
Thanks to the 10-minute auto shut-off function, you will prolong the battery life of your TP-02S thermometer.
You can use it to monitor the temperature of different meals or pieces of meat at the same time, and all you need to do is wash the probe with warm soapy water, in order to prevent cross-contamination between the uncooked meat and the other food.
The ultra-clear LCD display on the measuring tool is easy to see and read. You can switch in between Celsius and Fahrenheit measurements easily depending on your needs and the recipe you are following.
The probe has a handle with a stainless steel finish which will match your other kitchen utensils and furniture perfectly.
This inexpensive food thermometer is sold with a 1-year warranty, which you can easily extend to 3 by simply registering it after buying it.
We love how simple and precise this thermometer is, as well as its reading speed and versatility. But most of all, we appreciate the fact that it is sold at an amazingly attractive price!
And here are the rest of our top picks for 2022
Lavatools Javelin PRO Duo Autorotating Backlit Digital Meat Thermometer
The Javelin PRO Duo meat thermometer is very similar to our runner-up but it has some added features which you will probably find super convenient when cooking and monitoring the temperature of your food but which make its price quite a bit higher than the PT12 Javelin.
- Almost instant temperature readings within just 2 to 3 seconds
- A 2-inch large display that auto rotates at 360 degrees for ambidextrous use, so it doesn’t matter how you hold it
- The backlit display for low light conditions can be activated by just shaking the tool
- An IP65 splash resistant construction of the thermometer
- The special intelligent stabilization alert will inform you when the final readout is settled
- The thermos hold function will keep the temperature visible on the display for a longer
- The temperature has a range of -40 to 482 degrees and an accuracy of ±0.9 degrees Fahrenheit
- The tool is powered by a single, long-lasting CR2032 with at least 4,000 hours of use (continuous)
- An integrated magnet so you can keep it on your oven or fridge door for easy access
- An auto-off function to save battery
- Adjustable to either Fahrenheit or Celsius readings
- The high-quality sensor is protected by a BPA-free polycarbonate housing
- The 5-inch long probe is made of completely safe and durable 18/8 food-grade stainless steel
- The item complies to all international food safety requirements and standards
- It is available in a wide assortment of colors
- The fold-up design makes it easy and safe to store and carry
Related – Smoker Thermometer Reviews 2022: Top 5+ Recommended
ThermoPro TP-16 Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer
The ThermoPro T-16 meat thermometer is an excellent option for those of you who need a simple, reasonably priced, and feature-packed kitchen thermometer with an extra-large display for easy viewing.
- Suitable for cooking in the oven, stovetop, BBQ, or for smoker use
- Has preset temperature settings for the main types of meat and fish, along with the recommended temperatures for the doneness of the different meats by the USDA
- You can set the temperature level manually as well
- The thermometer will alert you when the desired or recommended temperature is reached or when the time set for the timer is up
- Has an optional timer which you can set for up to 99 hours and 59 minutes
- The temperature it measures is from 32 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit and its accuracy is ±1.8 degrees
- A 6.5-inch long probe which can easily reach the middle of a large turkey or piece of meat
- The probe is made of food-grade safe stainless steel
- The probe connects to the thermometer via a 40-inch long mesh cable
- Both the probe and the wire can tolerate temperatures of up to 716 degrees Fahrenheit
- An extra-large LCD display makes setting the temperature or timer and reading the measurements very easy for people with poor eyesight or from a distance
- ThermoPro offers an option for extending the warranty to 3 years as well as free replacement of the sensor probe in case of malfunction
- Available at a very reasonable price
Alpha Grillers Instant Read Meat Thermometer
The Instant Read Meat thermometer made by Alpha Grillers is very easy to use, offers precise measurements and is sold at an affordable price and comes with a very tempting lifetime money-back guarantee.
- No need for set-up, the thermometer is ready to use out of the box
- Reads the temperature with an accuracy of ±1 degrees Fahrenheit
- The reading is ready within 2 to 5 seconds of inserting the probe in the meat or food
- The large backlit dial is easy to see without having to push your face near the steaming hot food
- You can turn the unit off by flipping the probe back
- It is sold with a beautiful foam-lined box perfect for storage or for a gift
- Comes with a complete laminated and easy to read meat temperature guide for quick reference
- Suitable for use both indoors and outside
- Has a magnet on the back so you can stick it to your oven or fridge
- Auto on and auto-off feature
- It has a calibration as well as a minimum and maximum temperature feature
- The thermometer can show the reading in Fahrenheit or in Celsius
- The tool is waterproof
- It is powered by a single button battery included in the package
- Sold at a very affordable price and with an amazing lifetime money-back warranty
ThermoPro TP-08S Wireless Dual Probe Digital Meat Thermometer
Do you need a reliable and rugged meat thermometer for all the outdoor barbecue parties you love throwing? The ThermoPro TP-08S is probably the perfect option available in 2022.
- Wireless digital thermometer with a pre-synchronized transmitter and receiver
- Measures precisely temperatures in the range of 32 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit
- The temperature readings are accurate within 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit
- You can set a high or low alarm if you need to control the maximum or minimum temperature reached on the grill or smoker
- An alarm will alert you by beeping and flashing when the food or oven reaches the set temperature
- The wireless thermometer has a range of up to 300ft. so you can continue having fun with your friends as the food is cooking
- A very long 5-inch stainless steel food probe, and a 3 inch BBQ or oven probe are included with the thermometer so you can keep an eye on the cooking temperature of your food and your oven simultaneously
- The probes can withstand up to 716 degrees Fahrenheit
- There is a timer you can set which will alert you when the cooking time is over
- Comes with a protective rubber sleeve case which is suitable for outdoor use, camping, and others
- It also has an optional pullout countertop stand, a belt clip, and a wire to hand the transmitter
- Comes with a 1-year warranty, with an option to extend it to 3, as well as free replacement of the probe if something goes wrong
Brookstone BK798314 Grill Alert Talking Meat Thermometer
The Brookstone BK798314 is a clever little meat thermometer that will actually talk to you to inform you of how the cooking is going and when it is finally ready.
- A wireless thermometer with a large range of up to 300 ft. so you don’t need to spend hours by the oven or grill
- The thermometer monitor can be clipped on your belt or anywhere and will announce when the meat is cooked perfectly and has reached the desired doneness
- The large backlit display shows the current as well as the target temperature of the food as well as the type of food you are cooking
- Has pre-set temperature settings for cooking and the proper doneness of beef, pork, lamb, poultry, and fish
- The monitor will alert you when the meat is almost ready, as well as when it is completely done
- Works well both indoors and outdoors
- Works with 2 AA batteries
ThermoPro TP-17 Dual Probe Digital Thermometer
This is the older version of the TP-085 but it is still a highly functional and easy-to-use thermometer for food which comes at a significantly lower price than the new version.
- It has two probes that will allow you to monitor the temperature of two different pieces of meat or two different meals at the same time
- The unit has the USDA approved preset temperatures for the different levels of cooking the most common types of meat
- You can also adjust the desired temperature manually and the unit will alert you when it is reached
- It also offers a timer option that will alert you when the set cooking time is over
- The long probes and the 40-inch steel mesh wires which connect them to the thermometer can withstand scorching hot temperatures of up to 716 degrees
- The thermometer has a large 3inch LCD display which is backlit for very easy viewing
- The tools have an accuracy of ±1.8 degrees and a temperature range of 14 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit
- You can set it to give you the readings in either Celsius or Fahrenheit
- Suitable for use indoors and outside
- Comes with a flip-out stand and a magnetic back for easy and convenient storage
- Works with 1 AAA battery
- Sold with a 3-year warranty if you register the product and with free customer care support available 5 days a week
iDevices Kitchen Thermometer
If you are into smart devices and your home is full of smart IoT appliances, you will love the iDevices Kitchen Thermometer.
- It has two probes that can be used for tracking two separate pieces of meat or different foods at the same time
- Can measure temperatures from -22 up to 572 degrees Fahrenheit
- The device has a 150ft. Bluetooth wireless range
- The unit has a large illuminated display that will light up when you approach it and will turn off when you leave the room for battery saving
- The thermometer also has magnetic mounting for easy access
- Works with the free iDevices Connected app, so you can keep an eye on the temperatures from your smartphone or device – available both for Android and iOS
- The smart app will alert you when the desired temperature is reached for each of the two probes
- You can monitor the graph with the temperatures throughout the cooking of a meal
- Perfect for unattended cooking – you can cook the perfect meal while entertaining your guests
- Sold with a 1-year warranty for the thermometer and 90 days for the probes
Related article: Our Suggestions for Sugar Thermometers – Reviews 2022
Which features should you look for when buying a meat thermometer
As you can see from our list, the meat thermometers are pretty similar, and yet have some distinctive features and certain functions which you may want to look for when picking the right one for you.
Here are some of the main features which will make the meat thermometer useful for you.
An alarm or alert
Meat thermometers which can be programmed to sense when the meat or other food has reached the desired temperature are more useful for those of you who don’t want to keep opening the oven, pot, or another utensil to check the temperature manually.
Usually, these types of thermometers have an alarm or will otherwise alert you by beeping, flashing, or via voice that the meat is done.
Some of the thermometers can be set to alert you if the temperature becomes lower than the minimum you have set or higher than the maximum too.
Plus, some thermometers for meat have timers that will keep track of the cooking time, as well as the temperature levels for you.
This is a feature to look for if you prefer unattended cooking, or if you want to spend your time working on other meals, errands or entertaining guests while your meat is cooking or the grill is grilling. This is especially useful when the thermometer is wireless so that you can receive alerts even when you are in the other room.
The smart iDevice from our list can pair up with your smartphone and send you alerts there too.
Most of our top picks have this nifty feature, so take a look at our reviews to find the one which suits you best.
Auto shut off
Since all of the meat thermometers, we have picked, and the majority of thermometers we have tested are battery-powered, having an auto shut-off function can help save power and prolong the battery life. Thermometers like the iDevice will automatically turn on the display when you approach and turn it off when you leave.
Others will shut off automatically after a few minutes without being used. Usually, they can be woken up with a flip or shake, which is very handy given that you will usually be using them with bulky oven mitts on.
See also: My list of favorite oven mitts
Preset and programmable temperature
Many contemporary meat thermometers, including our top pick, the ThermoPro TP20, and others, have preset cooking temperatures for the most popular kinds of meat and fish. They also have preset temperatures for the right and safe doneness of the various levels of cooking of these meats, from rare to well done, in accordance with the USDA’s recommendations.
However, you may also set your own temperatures and tailor these settings to suit your preferences or your recipes with these thermometers.
Your cooking experience will undoubtedly be more comfortable if you can set the temperature to the level of doneness you choose because you won’t have to continuously checking the temperature and letting the heat out as you cook.
Temperature hold setting
This will keep the temperature displayed on the monitor for 5 minutes or more, which is convenient when you are busy cooking and you, have your attention split in between the different courses and meals.
Many meat thermometers also have a cooking timer function and will keep an eye not only on the cooking and meat temperature but on the cooking time you have set. Our top choice the ThermoPro TP20 has a timer for up to 100 hours.
Naturally, the main job of a thermometer is to give accurate temperature readings, and if you are a perfectionist and want your meat to be cooked absolutely perfectly, you should choose a thermometer that has very high accuracy, such as most of our top picks for 2022.
The temperature range
The different meat thermometers can measure different ranges of temperature. Depending on your needs you can choose one which can correctly and safely measure very low and very high temperatures like the two thermometers by Lavatools which we have picked for you which have a temperature reading range of -40 to 482 degrees and accuracy of ±0.9 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you need a thermometer for higher temperatures, you should opt for the ThermoPro TP20 or any of the other thermometers by ThermoPro from our list which can measure temperatures as high as 572 degrees Fahrenheit.
Wireless, corded or instant-read
We have chosen meat thermometers of all these types for you. The standalone instant-read thermometer is poked directly into the meat and it shows the reading on the display. Such are the Lavatools thermometers and the budget-friendly option by ThermoPro which we have picked for you.
The wireless ones can be more expensive, but they do have their advantages such as unattended cooking and being able to engage with something else while you are waiting for your meat to be done.
The corded digital probe ones have mesh wires which connect the probes to the monitor and are cheaper. These are suitable for cooking larger cuts of meat for longer cooking times.
The probe length and size
The longer the probes – the deeper and closer you can get to the middle of a large turkey or roast, so make sure you choose a thermometer that has a longer probe if you plan on cooking large pieces of meat. Shorter probes are more suitable for smaller meat pieces or thinner slices.
The display type and size
You should pick a thermometer that has a display that you can see easily and clearly. We have picked several models which have extra-large displays, and some which are backlit and can be seen even when the light is low. The Lavatools Javelin Pro has an auto-rotating display, so you can see the reading, no matter which hand you are using and which side of the meat you are using it on.
The reading time
If you prefer a thermometer which will give you almost immediate temperature readings, you should pick one of the products which we have offered you. There are some thermometers which will show the temperature in just a couple of seconds.
Tips for properly using a meat thermometer
So, you have finally decided to say goodbye to the long agonizing wait for checking whether your expensive cut of meat has been cooked properly by buying a meat thermometer?
Here are some simple tips which will help you make the most of your new thermometer and will help you use it properly.
Choose the right type of meat thermometer
Digital thermometers are more accurate and are safer to use than the traditional bulb or bimetallic ones. All of the thermometers in our top 10 list are digital and offer very precise and reliable measurements.
The instant-read thermometers are very fast, easy to use, and are precise, but they do require that you let out the heat by opening the oven or pot, and also require that you consistently keep checking on the temperature levels.
The wired digital probe thermometers which have mesh wires connecting the probes to the monitor are very suitable when you are smoking or roasting a turkey or large cuts of meat for long hours.
The wireless meat thermometers are suitable for those of you who don’t want to keep checking on the meat and prefer spending your time doing something else. These are useful for people with busy lifestyles, or those who enjoy entertaining guests and don’t want to keep having to get up to check on the food.
Make sure you place the probe correctly
If you want the most accurate readings, keep the probe as far away from the bones or fat of the meat. You need to place it deep inside the meat where it is the thickest because you need to be watching the lowest internal temperature rather than the temperature on the surface, in order to ensure that it is done properly and safe to eat.
To find the right spot, insert the probe into the meat slowly and watch as the temperature falls, once it starts rising back again, just go back a tad and leave the probe there.
If you are cooking whole chicken or turkey, insert the thermometer at the area where the thigh meets the body, which takes the longest to cook. For finer and thinner pieces of meat like hamburgers, you should stick in the probe sideways.
Check the safety guides and monitor the temperature early
Make sure you adhere to the safety guides when you are cooking meat, and keep in mind that the cooking process will continue and the temperature level will rise by a few degrees after you take the meat out of the oven.
If you are making a large roast, you should start checking the temperature about 30 minutes before you expect it to be done. For smaller cuts, you can start measuring the temperature at the 20-25 minute mark before the cooking is expected to be done.
To get the perfect doneness, target a temperature given in the safety guides and in the recipe.
Always remember the carry-over cooking which will raise the temperatures a bit even after you take the meat out of the oven or remove it from the stovetop. This is particularly imperative for larger cuts of meat which need to be removed when their temperature is about 5 degrees lower than the desired one. Then, give these cuts about 5 to 10 minutes of rest time, during which the temperature will rise to the level you want and so that the juices can be redistributed properly in the meat.
Calibrate your meat thermometer
Don’t forget to check the accuracy of your thermometer periodically to make sure it is reading the temperature correctly. You can do this easily by testing the thermometer in a bowl of ice water when the reading should be 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 degrees Celsius. You can also test it in boiling water where the reading should be 212 degrees Fahrenheit or 100 degrees Celsius.
If you find that the reading is off, check with the instructions or the manufacturer to find out how to calibrate it, or get a new meat thermometer.
Sanitize your thermometer
This is essential for your health and safety, especially when measuring the temperatures of meat. So, make sure you wash the probe with hot water and soap or use other sanitizing solutions before you reuse your thermometer.
We would like to thank you for reading our reviews, and truly hope that we have assisted you in finding a meat thermometer that will help you cook your meat to the perfect juicy doneness which you have always wanted to achieve.
By buying one of our top picks and using it properly, you will keep yourself and your loved ones safe from nasty and in some cases dangerous foodborne diseases, and you will also keep all of the foodies in your family as well as your gastronome friends happy with the results of your cooking at all times.
Good luck and enjoy your perfectly cooked meat and meals with one of these absolutely essential kitchen tools!