Flat top grills have become increasingly popular among backyard chefs. This is mainly due to their versatility and ease of use. But also because it is so much more fun to cook outdoors than being stuck in the kitchen.
Camp Chef is a company that has proven to be a leader in manufacturing these types of outdoor cooking stations.
The bestselling Camp Chef flat-top grills have gained a vast fan base. We are not shy to admit that we agree with all of the happy users who already own one or more of these units.
Read on to find out more about the best Camp Chef flat top grill, its pros and cons, how to make the most of it, and other tips for using and maintaining your cooker.
A few words about Camp Chef’s history
The Camp Chef company was founded by the avid outdoorsman Ty Measom in 1990. Disappointed by the lack of portability and the low quality of many of the other outdoor cookers on the market, Measom designed the Pro60, which was both powerful and portable.
Since then, the company has become an industry leader in the production of outdoor cooking equipment. Its product list includes flat-top grills, smokers, griddles, grill boxes, fire pits, portable ovens, and Woodwind pellet grills, as well as cast-iron Dutch ovens, skillets, and numerous accessories.
The business has gained popularity among campers, explorers, tailgaters, and others since the 1990s. Its outdoor cooking equipment’s mobility, sturdiness, ease of use, and simplicity are its major benefits.
The business now makes constant improvements to its products and designs. With the goal of producing high-performance, long-lasting, and useful outdoor cooking equipment and cookware, it is introducing innovations and features.
Due to its adaptability to be used for virtually anything, including breakfast, lunch, supper, and snacks, the Camp Chef flat-top grills are still among the most popular grills of this kind. The firm produces portable flat-top grills, tabletop flat-top grills as well as cart-style and event varieties.
Here is our top pick for the best Camp Chef flat top grill for 2022.
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
- Cooking area: 604 square inches
- Power output: up to 48,000 BTUs
- Burners: 4 stainless steel
- Fuel: propane gas
The Camp Chef Flat Top Grill is a popular and much-loved outdoor cooking unit that comes in several different size options.
Our top pick is the bestselling FTG600. It has a total cooking area of 604 square inches. The grill is powered by four 12,000 BTU propane-fueled stainless steel burners with a total power output of 48,000 BTUs.
The cooking surface is 31 (W) x 20.5 (D) inches and is interchangeable between a standard grill grate and a flat top griddle. It is this versatility that makes the Camp Chef Flat Top Grill so unique.
With each of the cooking surfaces, you can sear, fry, boil and cook just about any dish and meal of the day. You can achieve authentic and beautiful sear marks on your steaks and burgers on the grill grates. Or you can cook a delicious breakfast and other meals on the griddle surface.
Thanks to the quick ignition button, you can start one or more of the burners in a matter of seconds.
The supported temperature range is from 225 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. It can easily be adjusted separately for each burner depending on your cooking needs for hotter and cooler cooking zones. This means that you can sear steaks at the highest temperatures and cook delicious and delicate foods like fish, pancakes, and others at lower temperatures.
Its built-in heat dispersal system will ensure that the food is cooked to perfection without any hot or cold spots.
With an open cart-style design, this grill is portable and provides sufficient storage space for all of the food prep, condiments, grilling tools, and other utensils you will need for your outdoor cooking station. There are two large shelves under the grill and two added foldable side shelves, which all home cooks will find very convenient, especially when preparing food for larger groups of people.
The wheels and the propane gas tank holder on the side of the cart will keep your cooking area neat and portable at all times.
Plus, the integrated cleanup features by Camp Chef will attract any home cook who likes easy and fast cleaning after cooking. The grill has an efficient cleanup and grease management system. It consists of micro-adjust griddle levers that can be set to send all of the grease and other juices straight into the grease tray and the catch bucket of the appliance.
Once you are done, or the bucket is full, all you will need is to dispose of its content and rinse it off.
Since the cooking surface comes pre-seasoned, you can start using the unit immediately without worrying about seasoning it or about your food sticking on the grill or griddle.
The legs of the grill can be adjusted in height to level the appliance on uneven surfaces and for easier access for backyard pitmasters and home cooks of different heights.
The flat-top grill is backed by a 1-year warranty by the manufacturer.
The other size options offered for the Camp Chef Flat Top Grill include:
The Camp Chef FTG900 with 6 burners and a cooking area of 877 square inches
The Camp Chef FTG600P is a portable alternative to the FTG600 and the same cooking space
The Camp Chef FTG400 – a tabletop grill with 2 burners of 16,000 BTUs each and a cooking surface of 416 square inches
The Camp Chef FTG250, is a portable flat top grill with one 18,000 BTU burner and has 247 square inches of cooking space.
- A versatile outdoor cooking station with interchangeable cooking surfaces, which will allow you to use it as a grill or flat top griddle
- It can easily replace your cast iron skillets or pans
- You can cook just about everything outdoors without making a mess in your kitchen and without cooking odors in your home
- Unlike traditional grills or girdles, this one can be used for cooking every meal or snack in the day
- A generous cooking area of 604 square inches
- Four high-quality stainless steel burners of 12,000 BTUs each
- An open-cart design with loads of storage space and easy portability
- Heavy-duty wheels and adjustable leg height
- An excellent cleanup and grease management system will make your life much easier
- Pre-seasoned cooking surfaces
- Quick ignition and easy temperature control
- Even heat distribution and the ability to create multiple cooking zones
- Sold at a reasonable price for a multifunctional cooking appliance
- Backed by a 1-year warranty
- The appliance is available in other smaller and larger options for every need
- It is easy to assemble with no special tools required
- The 1-year warranty is shorter than the guarantees given by some other manufacturers of similar outdoor cooking equipment
Related: Best Flat Top Grill Reviews
Tips on using your Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
One of the main advantages of the Camp Chef Flat Top Grill is that it is designed to be easy to use and maintain.
Still, here are some tips on making the best of your cooking unit:
Even though the griddle is pre-seasoned, it is recommended that you season it with some lard or oil before starting to use it. Then let it run at medium heat for a few hours so that it is seasoned properly.
By seasoning your cast iron griddle regularly, you will keep it sanitary and non-stick. Plus, you can prolong its longevity and get the best culinary results from it every time.
After use, leave the burners on for a while and use a spatula or scraper to remove any leftover food residues.
Avoid using detergents and soaps, and apply some cooking oil instead if there is any leftover residue after cooking on the grill.
You don’t need to worry about cooking with sauces and other juices, as the flat top surface will hold them and keep your food nicely seasoned and moist.
Also, use cooking oil suitable for the cooking temperatures for the best results and to avoid burning and disappointments.
Most importantly, don’t be shy of experimenting when using your flat top grill. You can try all kinds of different recipes and methods to find which ones work best for you!
- Includes flat top griddle & grill grate, True Seasoned Surface, non-stick & ready to cook
- Grease management system for easy clean up, Grease tray, catch bucket, and micro adjust griddle levelers
- Four 12,000 BTUs/Hr. stainless steel Burners, Matchless ignition system
- Two large folding shelves, Propane tank holder, Adjustable leg levers
- Griddle Cooking Surface: 604 sq. in., Grilling Cooking Surface: 501 sq. in., Overall Unit Dimensions: 62.5" 37" x 22" Weight: 142 lbs.
Hopefully, we have helped you decide whether the Camp Chef flat top grill is the best option for you.
Our opinion is that this is one of the most multifunctional and well-made outdoor cooking appliances you can invest in in 2022.