Rice is a versatile and nutritious food item, making it a common ingredient in almost every household. Since it can be stored indefinitely, you can buy it in bulk, and you’ll always have it in stock at home.
If you don’t have a rice storage container at home, it is high time you get one. They make storing rice convenient, easy and safe. You don’t need to worry about bugs or mold if you have a trusty rice storage container in your kitchen.
Advantages of Having a Storage Container for Rice
Here are some advantages of having a separate storage container for rice:
- It stays clean and these storage containers are a lot more secure than plastic packages or random boxes.
- It doesn’t take up too much space in your kitchen.
- With clear containers, you can see exactly how much rice is left and you’ll know when you need to buy more rice.
- A good storage container will keep your rice fresh, so it will always taste the same when you cook it.
- You don’t have to worry about spilling rice everywhere, just scoop and pour.
- It can be used for anything from cereal, pulses and dog food to detergent for washing your clothes.
- It is a storage solution that doesn’t spoil the aesthetic of your kitchen.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Rice Storage Container
Here is a little guide to help you buy the best rice storage container:
Rice can be kept forever, so people usually buy it in bulk. It is obviously cheaper when bought in bulk and since it doesn’t spoil, it is a very smart decision to buy white rice in bulk.
So you should make sure that the storage container you buy can handle the quantity of rice you buy. If you eat rice very rarely, you should go ahead and get a smaller container.
You know your needs best, so evaluate carefully before you settle on a size. Think about the space in your kitchen too. You don’t want it to take up half your kitchen counter, so plan accordingly.
Most rice storage containers have a function where you push a button and a certain amount of rice falls out of the tunnel. This amount can be anywhere between a quarter of a cup to a full cup of rice.
Smaller rice storage containers might not have a rice tunnel at all. If this is a feature you want, you cannot get a small container. Choose depending on the amount of rice you want to fall out of the tunnel.
It might seem like a trivial detail, but it can save you time in the long run. Besides, it is convenient and saves you the hassle of measuring out the quantity of rice each time.
If you choose to get a small rice container, you can keep using measuring cups to measure out the quantity of rice you need.
The material of the lid is an important consideration. If you want to rice to stay safe and as fresh as possible, go for rice containers with silicone lids.
Silicone lids make containers airtight. You can rest assured that moisture, mold and bugs will stay out of your rice. The airtight seal will also keep your rice fresh.
Clear vs. Opaque
Rice containers come in many different types of materials. Some of them are opaque, like wood or metal while some are clear, like plastic or glass.
While wood and metal are certainly more durable, it is recommended that you get a container made of clear materials like plastic or glass.
Plastic is kind of perfect because it makes cleaning very easy and you can clearly see inside. Plastic containers usually come with measurements on the side, so you always know exactly how much rice you have on hand.
Some people clean out their rice containers before every refill while some don’t think about cleaning them at all.
In either case, it is good to buy a rice container that is easy to clean or is dishwasher safe.
If you clean it often this makes it quicker and easier and if you never clean it because it seems like too much effort, you might be more inclined to clean it if the process is easy.
Best Rice Storage Containers
Here are the best rice storage containers you can buy in 2022:
LocknLock Easy Essentials Food Lids
LocknLock has a clear rice storage container made of BPA-free plastic. It is perfect for pantry storage and comes in 3 different storage capacities. It has a simple design and keeps your rice safe and fresh.
- Clear plastic container
- Has a 406 oz capacity and comes with a convenient serving scoop
- Airtight flip lid for easy access
- Is BPA free and freezer, microwave and dishwasher safe
- It is a flip-top food container made of lightweight yet durable materials. The lid is easy to access and the container is compact and convenient.
- It is dishwasher safe, so cleanup is much easier.
- Comes with a serving cup for convenience.
- The lid is airtight and keeps food fresh inside the container.
Cosyzone Rice Dispenser
This is a rice dispenser with a capacity of 25 pounds. It is made of durable opaque plastic. It has a sleek look and is very convenient to use. If you buy rice in bulk and eat it quite often, this dispenser will come in handy.
- 25-pound capacity with a scale window to view the quantity of rice in the dispenser
- Has an airtight lid that keeps moisture and insects out
- Comes with a cleaning brush and measuring cup
- Comes with a 12-month warranty
- Rice dispenser made of food-safe plastic that dispenses rice at the touch of a button.
- It is sleek and convenient to use.
- Cleanup can be difficult as it is not dishwasher safe.
- The measuring cup makes it easy to get price quantities of rice and it has drainage holes, so you can rinse your rice in the cup itself.
Rice Storage Bin
This rice storage bin is perfect for families that don’t consume a lot of rice. It can store about 4.5 pounds of rice and has an airtight lid. It is a lot cheaper than other designs, but the capacity is significantly lower too.
- Rice storage container with a 4.5-pound capacity made of clear plastic
- The lid has a silicone seal and is completely airtight
- It is compact and small enough to fit in your refrigerator
- It has an easy pour spout and comes with a small measuring cup
- Has a handle on top for easy portability
- Small and compact rice storage container for small quantities of rice. Has a portable design and is convenient for transportation.
- It has to be manually cleaned since it is not dishwasher safe, but it shouldn’t be too much of a hassle due to the small size.
- The measuring cup fits on top of the pouring spout, so you won’t lose it in the kitchen.
- The silicone seal keeps the rice dry and safe from bugs.
Komax Biokips Extra Large Food Containers
Komax has one of the largest rice storage containers with a capacity of 20 pounds. It is perfect for large families who frequently consume rice.
- Has a 20-pound capacity and comes with a measuring cup
- Has an open door hatch and the lid is airtight
- Made of BPA free and food-safe material
- Large rice storage container with a hatch door for easy access.
- It is dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
- The container is translucent, so you can see the quantity of rice remaining, but there are no markings on the side.
- It is heat resistant and can be used to store dry ingredients. It is not leakproof, so you can’t store wet food items.
Tips for Storing Rice in Bulk
Buying rice in bulk surely saves money, but it is of no use if the rice keeps getting ruined in the container. Rice doesn’t spoil on its own but external elements like insects or mold can ruin it.
Here are a few tips to keep your rice safe in the container:
Divide and Conquer
Divide your stash of rice into small portions and seal them in separate plastic bags. Place the bags inside the container and they should stay safe from any moisture or critters. The bags act as a second layer of protection for the rice.
If you are still concerned about moisture, you can lay down a towel on the bottom of the container to soak it up.
Put the container in a dry location away from the heat and your rice should stay safe and secure.
Keeping Bugs at Bay
Bay leaves can be used to keep bugs away from your kitchen. They have a strong fragrance that keeps any critters away from your ingredients. You can place a few leaves in your rice container and it will discourage any bugs from climbing in.
It also keeps the rice fragrant and fresh. There is no trace of the bay leaves in cooked rice, so you can rest assured that it won’t affect the flavor of the rice.
Add a Dash of Salt
Salt is a great way to keep your rice safe. Sprinkle it into the container and it will prevent bacteria from growing in the rice and keep insects away. When you want to cook the rice, just rinse or sift the rice to get rid of the salt.
If you want to keep the rice free of salt altogether, you can wrap some salt in gauze and place it in the middle of the rice. It serves the purpose and doesn’t mix with the rice.
Related: Food Storing Guide: Storage Times For The Refrigerator And Freezer
Rice storage containers are the best way to keep your rice safe and secure. Since it is a common food item that has an indefinite shelf life, it is important to store it properly. Storage containers are convenient, cheap and perfectly safe.
Related: The Best 4 Under Cabinet Knife Storage: An Option For Small Kitchens 2022