Are you wondering what the hype about infrared grills is about and whether it is worth it?
You can learn more about the advantages and drawbacks of using an infrared grill by reading our comprehensive evaluation of the best-infrared grills for 2022.
The infrared grills cook food using infrared rays or heat. Compared to other types of grills, this enables significantly faster heating up and far greater temperatures.
The best-infrared grills and those with the most financial value have been chosen by our team.
Along with their main features, we have included the pros and cons, so you can make an informed choice when choosing the most suitable one for your needs.
If you are still not sure about whether an infrared grill is really worth it, here is a quick look at the pros and cons of infrared grills:
Pros of infrared grills:
- Fastest preheating and cooking – these grills can reach a temperature of 700 degrees Fahrenheit in as little as 7 minutes
- Even heating – thanks to the infrared heat technology, the food will be cooked evenly without any hot or cold spots
- Efficiency – these grills heat up and thus cook faster than other grills making them devices that save power, time, and money
- Lower risk of flare-ups – most infrared burners are less prone to flare-ups than other grills
- Easiest cleaning – thanks to the amazingly high temperatures which can be reached, cleaning an infrared grill is a breeze. All you need to do is turn up the temperature so that any leftover food inside will be incinerated
Cons of infrared grills:
- The risk of burning the food is higher – this is due to the fast heating and the super high temperatures of these grills. This makes infrared grills unsuitable for delicate meats and foods like fish
- Limited versatility – unlike other grills, which can be used for smoking, baking, broiling, roasting, barbecuing, grilling, low and slow cooking, or fast and high searing, the infrared grills are less versatile. They are suitable for searing beef and other robust meats but not for delicate or low and slow cooking
- They take some getting used to – due to the ultra-fast preheating and the high grilling temperatures, infrared grills require some adjustment and getting used to, especially if you are used to using traditional grills. But once you get the hang of it, it is very likely that your infrared grill will become your favorite grill of all.
Here are the top picks for the best-infrared grills for 2022
If you thought that infrared grills are way out of your budget and are much more expensive than other grills, then think again. This Char-Broil Performance grill costs just over $300 and yet utilizes a TRU Infrared technology and has three burners.
This excellent infrared grill is well built and offers great value for the money asked, which makes it one of the most suitable options for most people looking to buy a grill of this type.
It has a main cooking area of 450 square inches and has an added 150 square inches provided by the warming rack.
The grill grates are rust-resistant, durable, and stick-proof thanks to their porcelain coating. The lid and the firebox of this affordable infrared grill are also porcelain-coated for added sturdiness.
It reaches high temperatures quickly and easily, and the three burners have an output of 24,000 BTUs, with an additional 10,000 BTUs from the side burner.
It is a joy to use this grill for searing steaks and other fast and high-temperature grilling.
You can convert it to natural gas via one of the available natural gas conversion kits on the market.
- Great value for money – this is an inexpensive grill using infrared heat and provides a large cooking space
- Fast assembly – assembling the grill is easy and quick
- Quick ignition – the grill has an electronic ignition system that lights all three burners instantly and evenly
- Portability – you can move the grill around easily thanks to the large wheels and the nifty gas bottle placement
- The plates can be tricky to clean – due to their design with small holes, the infrared plates of this grill can get food stuck in them and can be difficult to clean. This can also cause flare-ups if they are not cleaned properly
- The placement of the gas bottle – while it is good news if you want more mobility, the placement of the gas bottle under the grill makes the space under it unusable for storage of condiments or tools. Still, this inexpensive grill does have two side shelves for storage and food prep
If you are willing to splurge out for a high-end infrared gas grill, then you should check out this premium infrared propane gas grill by Saber Grills.
It is the best luxury infrared grill you can buy in 2022.
This Deluxe grill has three burners that use infrared heat, but unlike other grills of this type, they can be adjusted to different temperatures individually. The output of the three burners is 24,000 BTUs.
It can reach ultra-high temperatures quickly but without the risk of flare-ups.
The grill itself is made of sturdy stainless steel, which is not only beautiful but rust-resistant and very durable.
The Sabre Deluxe grill has a primary grilling area of 500 square inches and an added enameled warming rack of 175 square inches. The grates, burners, emitters, and shelves are all made of top-grade 304 stainless steel.
The grill has an added side burner with an 18,000 BTU output as well. It has dual controls so that you can adjust one extra hot zone for boiling or wok cooking.
The side burner also has a lid, and you can use it as additional storage or food prep area too.
Due to its fast heating and efficiency, this premium grill uses up to 30% less propane gas than traditional propane grills. It can easily be converted into a natural gas grill with a suitable conversion kit.
The high-end infrared grill is fitted with two bright halogen lights over the cooking area, so you can easily view the food even when grilling in the dark.
If you love the Sabre Deluxe Stainless but find it is out of your budget range, you can opt for a less expensive variant of the same grill made of powder-coated steel.
And if you have even more money to spend on an infrared grill, then we suggest that you consider getting the Saber Elite model.
This portable infrared gas grill is perfectly sized for RVs, boats, camping, and outdoor adventures.
It weighs a mere 20 lbs. but it is actually very well built and will withstand a lot of wear and tear when you take it traveling with you.
Plus, it can reach the high temperature of other large-sized stationary infrared grills quite quickly.
The grilling area is 200 square inches, which can be sufficient for cooking for two or more people.
- The best portable infrared grill – it weighs 20 lbs. and its size makes it perfect for taking it on the road or on adventures with you
- A very solid build – this small-sized infrared grill has a firebox and lid made of cast aluminum with sturdy stainless steel latches. This makes it durable and bump and bruise resistant too
- Super-fast heating – despite its small size, the Grill2Go X200 will heat up as quickly as the large-sized infrared grills. It is also one of the most suitable portable grills for getting a perfect sear
- It does run a little hot – due to the lack of a heat regulator, this portable grill is very difficult to use for cooking chicken, pork, or other food at a lower temperature. But if you add a control valve, you should be able to regulate the heat down to temperatures of 300-400 degrees Fahrenheit
- It needs to be cleaned thoroughly regularly – the cooking plates need to be cleaned and seasoned regularly if you want them to stay free of rust from the leftover food residues
- No storage or prep space – due to its size and portability, this infrared grill does not offer the convenience of having shelves for storage and food prep like regular-sized grills
- It has a limited cooking area of 200 square inches
It is designed with a small footprint, making it suitable for small patios and other outdoor areas.
At the same time, the Char-Broil Patio Bistro grill has a cooking area of 320 square inches which is enough for fitting and cooking 8-10 burgers at a time.
The propane gas bottle can easily be fitted under the grill, which is also good news for those of you with limited space.
And being a smaller appliance, this infrared grill will not use up as much fuel as the larger-sized ones.
It is easy to clean up by turning the heat up to a maximum level for 15 minutes and letting it incinerate any leftover food. Then it can be scraped off easily and quickly.
The infrared patio grill has an electric ignition system making it easy to ignite and start grilling in a matter of minutes.
- It has a small footprint making it an excellent solution for small patios and spaces
- It is reasonably priced – compared to other larger infrared grills, this one is reasonably priced, plus it is fuel-efficient, so it has lower running costs as well
- It is not as easy to assemble – while it may look small and simple, the Char-broil Patio Bistro grill can be a tad complicated to assemble, according to some users
- The paint on the grill is not as resilient as we would like – it is not the best paint, which means that you can expect some color changes or bubbles after several grilling sessions
Important note: Please, keep in mind that there was a dangerous issue with the igniter switch of the 2013 model of this grill, which was tended to free of charge, but if you are planning on buying this infrared grill second hand, make sure you check the year of the model and whether the issue was addressed if it is from 2013!
This Napoleon Prestige 500 grill is not the cheapest option on the market, but if you can afford it, it is among the highest recommended options for a propane gas grill with infrared burners.
This premium quality grill has a cooking space of 500 square inches and can be used for grilling, smoking, roasting, searing, and baking, making it one of the most versatile infrared grills on the market.
It is very sturdily built from stainless steel and has an impeccably insulated lid which makes it suitable for use as a smoker as well by using a smoking tube.
When the grill is in use, you fold the lid away for easy access to the grill.
This grill, unlike the other infrared grills on our list, doesn’t have only infrared burners. Instead, it has a rear infrared burner and rotisserie kit with an output of 18,000 BTUs and a side infrared burner with 14,000 BTUs suitable for searing.
The side searing plates can reach up to 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit!
Aside from the infrared burners, the grill has 4 stainless steel primary burners producing 48,000 BTUs per hour.
Overall, this is a serious grill for pitmasters who are willing to invest in the best possible versatile and infrared grill.
- There is a nifty storage cupboard with doors under the grill. There are hooks on the inside of the doors to keep your tools and other stuff
- The grill has reversible grill rods with a wave design for the reduction of the amount of food falling through them
- You can order this grill in a natural gas ready option too
- There is an included rotisserie kit that can hold a turkey, poultry, and other food up to 25 lbs.
- The cooking area is large – 500 square inches for the main cooking area, and added 260 square inches for the warming rack and 140 square inches on the side burner
- It has other burners apart from the infrared ones, so it is more versatile than the other grills on this list – and can be used as a smoker for roasting, baking, broiling, searing and more
- It is sturdily built of stainless steel
- There are no built-in lights over the cooking area, unlike those found in other high-end grills
This is among the most affordable infrared gas grills on the market for 2022. It is not a perfect option for everyone, but it is a versatile appliance that you can use for smoking, roasting, and grilling and has lots of fans in the country and abroad.
It is quite oddly shaped, but it provides a cooking space of 180 square inches and can hold up to 25 lbs. of food, and allows for fast heating and cooking at high temperatures and without flare-ups.
The temperature control can be adjusted from 9,000 to 18,000 BTUs.
Plus, its design makes it suitable for smaller outdoor spaces, as it has a relatively small footprint.
- It is very easy to assemble and use for grilling, roasting or smoking all types of meat and veggies
- It is very affordable
- It has a small footprint
- The smoking functions and capabilities are pretty limited – this is due to the small wood chip tray, which you will need to refill quite often
- It is not as sturdily built as some of the more expensive options on this list