Having a reliable, quick, and accurate grill thermometer is among the most essential grilling accessories you will ever need. With a good grill thermometer, you can ensure that your grill, smoker, or BBQ has reached the desired temperature and is maintaining throughout the cooking process.
With a thermometer, you can ensure that your meat is prepared to the desired doneness and that you will avoid the risk of undercooking or overcooking your food.
Here are the leading grill thermometers for 2022.
The ThermoPro TP20 is another top-quality grill thermometer, which costs quite less than our top pick – the ThermoWorks Smoke. Yet, it is an excellent, accurate, and easy-to-use thermometer for grills, smokers, and BBQs by home users and pit masters alike.
The reasonably priced grill thermometer has two probes – for food and for the smoker, grill, or oven. This cooking thermometer’s temperature range is from 32 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit (0-300 degrees Celsius), and the temperature reading accuracy is plus-minus 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit (1 degree Celsius).
You can easily reset it to Celsius from Fahrenheit and back.
The wireless receiver has a large, backlit display which you can use to monitor the grilling or smoking process from a distance of up to 300 feet away.
The display shows the readings of both probes at the same time, as well as the countdown or count-up timer for the cooking to the desired temperature or doneness.
To make grilling, smoking, or cooking meat even easier, you can use the preset timer programs for Ground Beef, Ground Poultry, Beef, Veal, Chicken, Pork, Poultry, Lamb, Fish, Ham, and BBQ. And for each, you can use the preset temperatures for doneness via the Taste button. This will allow you to set the thermometer probe for the optimal temperatures for rare, medium-rare, medium, medium well, and well done with a press of a button – all in compliance with the USDA-approved doneness temperature levels.
Once the time is up and the temperature is reached, the receiver will alert you via beeps and flashes.
The thermometer receiver has a belt clip or can be placed on any surface via the included countertop stand. It also is splash-proof and has a protective rubber sleeve case.
The backlit display is easy to see even in dark conditions.
The transmitter can be attached to the oven door via the included hook or placed on top of a stand.
If the unit is powered off for some reason, it will still memorize the last temperature and timer settings.
- It is offered at an excellent price for the value offered
- The thermometer is easy to set via the preset programs for different foods and for the desired doneness levels
- It has an extensive temperature range of 32-572 degrees Fahrenheit and an accuracy of 1.8 degrees F
- A long 300-foot wireless range for unattended grilling, smoking, or cooking
- Large backlit display for monitoring the temperatures of the meat and the grill, smoker, BBQ, or oven in all light conditions, simultaneously
- The two probes are not clearly labeled for ports 1 and 2, which some new users may find confusing
- There is no alarm for low temperatures
- The alarm cannot be adjusted in volume
The ThermoPro TP08s wireless digital thermometer is an excellent choice for those of you who want a reliable and accurate meat and grill thermometer but do not want to break the bank for a high-end professional one.
This grill thermometer is our budget-friendly choice, but it is still a useful and accurate measurement tool that will help you monitor the temperature of your grill and meat without the need to open the grill, smoker, or oven, and without having to run to it every time you need to check the doneness of the meat and the temperature of the appliance.
The ThermoPro TP08s has two probes – for the food and for the ambient temperature in the grill, oven, or smoker.
Probe 1 is for the meat and can be set to alert you when the temperature reaches the desired level. Probe 2 is for the ambient temperature or can be used for meat or other food as well. The 2nd probe can be set to alert you both when the temperature reaches the highest desired level or the lowest temperature level you have set for the smoker or grill.
This inexpensive grill thermometer’s temperature range is from 32 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit, with an accuracy of plus-minus 1.8 degrees and quick temperature reading.
The receiver will work within a range of 300 feet from the transmitter, so you can go watch some TV or do something else while your meat is smoking, grilling, or cooking without needing to tend to it at all times.
Once the temperature of the food reaches the desired doneness level, or if the ambient temperature reaches the highest or lowest desired temperature, the receiver will beep and flash to let you know.
This will help avoid overcooked or undercooked meat without babysitting your smoker or grill throughout the cooking.
The ThermoPro TP08s is a less expensive option than the TP20, and the sole difference is the lack of preset settings for the meat type and the doneness temperatures.
- This is the best budget-friendly grill thermometer on the market
- It lacks preset temperatures and programs but has all the essential features to allow you to smoke, grill, or cook meat and other food perfectly every time
- It has the same temperature range as the more expensive thermometers and the same accuracy of only plus-minus 1.8 degrees
- There are no up and down arrow buttons for the temperature settings, which some users find frustrating
- It is not as easy or as intuitive to set as the ThermoPro TP20
The thermometer comes with two professional-grade probes, but you can purchase an additional one or two here, so you can monitor up to four pieces of food or ambient temperatures at the same time.
Unlike our first three top picks for the top grill thermometers, which use radiofrequency for connecting the transmitter to the receiver, the Weber iGrill 2 is a Bluetooth thermometer that can be paired to your phone or tablet in a couple of seconds. You should install the useful free app by Weber to use your smartphone to monitor your food, set the desired temperature levels, and receive alerts about the cooking.
One fun and useful aspect of the mobile app is that you can name each of your probes so that you can easily switch from one probe to another and monitor the doneness of up to 4 pieces of meat or 3 pieces of meat and the grill at the same time. You can also set the type of meat, the desired doneness, and the desired ambient temperature for each of the pieces of meat separately via the Weber iGrill app.
Unlike some of the cheaper Bluetooth grill thermometers, this one can pair to a Bluetooth-enabled device in just 2 seconds and will reconnect almost immediately if the connection happens to drop.
The fast and accurate grill thermometer by Weber has a range of -22 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit.
The thermometer itself has a large backlit display and comes with two AA batteries with a life of up to 200 hours of use.
- A capability of connecting up to 4 probes simultaneously
- Built-in Bluetooth and easy connectivity to any Bluetooth enabled device in just 2 seconds
- A very useful Weber iGrill app for setting the temperatures, doneness and adding alerts for each probe
- A large temperature range of -11 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit
- It has a smaller (150 foot) range than the radio-frequency thermometers from above (200 feet)
- The price of the thermometer is higher than most others
- Because it doesn’t have a separate receiver, it can drain your phone battery
This digital wireless grill thermometer by ThermoWorks is the best you can buy in 2022 for smoking, grilling, and cooking.
The Smoke Remote BBQ Alarm Thermometer comes with two probe channels, allowing for measuring and monitoring the temperature of the smoker or pit, and at the same time, the temperature of the meat which is being cooked.
The Wi-Fi thermometer comes with a dedicated receiver with a large display, which you can use to simultaneously monitor the two temperature levels without blocking up your phone with complicated mobile apps or draining its battery.
It has a wireless range of 300 feet, so you can check on the grilling or smoking from anywhere in your house, without the need to run to the grill every time you want to check how the cooking is going.
The thermometer can measure temperatures from -58 up to 572 degrees Fahrenheit with an accuracy of +- 1.8 degrees. Plus, it will accurately read the temperatures in just 4-5 seconds.
Thanks to the large backlit LCD screen, you can quickly view the current temperatures of the grill and the meat and the minimum and maximum temperatures and the high and low values, without the need to press any buttons and toggle with menus.
The rugged thermometer receiver is IP65 splash-proof, has a backlit display for viewing it in all lighting conditions, and works with 2 x AA batteries with a long battery life of about 1,800 hours.
The receiver can be set to alert you when the temperature reaches the wanted levels or when it fluctuates from the set minimum and maximum levels. The alarm can be via a beep or vibrations or both.
The smoker thermometer can be paired with as many receivers as you want, so it is suitable for professional BBQ teams as well.
It can be purchased in one of nine available color options, and although it is on the higher-end when it comes to price, it is among the best options you can buy if you want to ensure that your meat is grilled or smoked to perfection without the need for babysitting the smoker or grill, especially during the long low and slow smoking processes.
- Two temperature probes and a large LCD display showing both temperatures of the meat and of the smoker
- Easy to set and use
- Very fast and accurate readings (4-5 seconds and temperature readings of plus or minus 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit) and a large temperature range
- A separate receiver, eliminating the need to drain your phone batteries or use complex apps
- The temperature adjustments can be made only via the thermometer (transmitter) itself, rather than the receiver
If you are shopping for the prime grill thermometer for BBQ competitions and professional use, or if you want the best for your home grilling sessions, and are ready to splurge out, then the Fireboard 2 Drive thermometer is what you need.
This high-end professional-range meat thermometer allows for easy monitoring of the temperature levels and cooking progress of up to 6 probes simultaneously.
An ambient probe, two food probes, a grill clip, and a quick start manual are included with the digital thermometer. Because it is rechargeable and includes a Li-Ion battery and a USB-C PD charger, there is no need to be concerned about running out of batteries and needing to buy new ones.
This high-quality grill thermometer allows you to keep an eye on the temperatures in many smokers, grills, or ovens at once, as well as the internal temperature of up to six different types of meat or other foods.
The display is large and simple to see in any lighting. The device has dimensions of 4.4 by 2.8 by 1.1 inches and weighs 8 oz.
It may be quickly added to your home wireless network and features built-in Wi-Fi connection. Once the thermometer is linked, the cloud (through the FireBoard Cloud Service) will receive the real-time readings, which can then be forwarded to or viewed from any Android or iOS phone or tablet, as well as the web.
You won’t be constrained to a certain range to monitor your cooking temps because the data is cloud-based. In fact, you may monitor them and get alerts even if you’re thousands of miles away or even in another nation.
The device also has built-in Bluetooth connectivity if you prefer to connect it to your phone or tablet at home directly.
This high-end grill thermometer can be further improved and turned into a reliable temperature controller by adding a Snap-On blower and fan control cable. This will allow you to turn your smoker into a complete set and forget cooking appliance by setting the desired temperature and doneness level and letting the fan and the computer control the oxygen required to maintain it.
- Cloud-based connectivity allowing for access to the temperature settings and readings from just about anywhere
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity options
- It can be used for up to 6 probes simultaneously
- You can turn it into an automatic temperature controller with the help of the FireBoard blower fan for effortless remote smoking
- It comes with a useful app that offers many different nifty features, graphical interface, and options
- It is rechargeable and can be charged anywhere, even from your phone
- It is expensive
- You will need to purchase additional probes or the blower fan and cable separately if you want to use it as a set and forget the smoker thermometer controller
Check our buying guide for the Best Instant Read Meat Thermometers