Most of the top-rated gas grills are pretty expensive, especially in comparison to the charcoal grill alternatives.
Still, gas grills are increasing in popularity due to their ease of use, speed of heating up and cooking, ease of cleaning, excellent temperature control, and other advantages they have.
The good news is that you don’t need to break the bank to buy a sturdy, efficient and dependable gas grill.
We have selected the top gas grills on the market, which cost under $300. Read on to find out which features are important when selecting the most suitable gas grill, as well as which are the best gas grills under 300 dollars for 2022.
This top-rated 4-burner cart-style gas grill by Char-Broil is our pick for the first place on this list. It fits into the $300 budget and has all the features, bells, and whistles you will find on much more expensive gas grills.
The main cooking surface of the Char-Broil Performance is 425 square inches, and a separate swing-away warming rack has a surface size of 150 square inches. The 10,000 BTU side burner, which may be used to boil, simmer, or reheat sauces and soups while using the grill, expands this area for cooking.
It is a propane gas grill with a dependable electronic ignition system, a robust stainless steel body, and four top-ported stainless steel burners that can all be lighted with a single button press. 36,000 BTUs may be generated by the four primary burners.
Its grates are composed of porcelain-coated cast iron, making them easy to clean after use and preventing food from sticking to them. The detachable grease pan on the grill is porcelain coated as well for simple cleaning.
A lot of storage is available on the side tables and behind the cart-style barbecue. When not in use, the side burner may be covered with a lid to double as a shelf for condiments, meal preparation tools, and other items.
It has a size of 50.4 x 24.5 x 45 inches, and it weighs 85 lbs.
- A very reasonable price for the value offered
- Versatile functions and ability to increase the cooking space via the warming rack and side burner
- The primary cooking area can easily fit 20 burgers, and more can be added on the warming rack, which is another 150 square inches
- It is made of rust-proof and durable stainless steel
- The four main burners are made of stainless steel
- It can produce a total of 46,000 BTU per hour
- The electronic ignition system allows for instant lighting of each burner with a push of a button
- The side burner can quickly be converted into a side storage shelf
- There is ample storage space under and around the grill
- The grids and grease pan are porcelain coated
- It is easy to clean
- It has an attractive brushed stainless steel finish
- The propane tank can be stored under the grill
- It has two large wheels and two legs, allowing it to be moved easily and yet to stay in place when needed
- The grates are relatively thin, so they will not transfer the heat as efficiently as grills with thicker grates
If you like our top selection a lot but consider it too large or too expensive for your needs and budget, you may want to opt for its smaller version – the Performance Series 2 burner gas grill.
It has most of the same features as the larger variant but is more compact – with a size of 24.5 x 42.9 x 44 inches and a total cooking area of 400 square inches, including a 300 square inch primary cooking area and a 100 square inch swing-away warming rack. It, though, lacks the side burner, which is available in the larger model.
The 2-Burner gas grill has two stainless steel top ported burners that can produce up to 24,000 BTUs. They are straightforward to light up with a push of the button of the electronic ignition system.
Its grill lid and the UFC are also made of durable stainless steel.
The cooking grates of this affordable gas grill are made of porcelain-coated cast iron, and the greased pan is also coated with porcelain to make the cleanup after use quick and easy.
This compact and inexpensive gas grill has a cabinet-style design, which means that you can store away the propane gas tank in the cabinet out of the way and out of sight. There are also two spacious shelves on each side of the grilling area. They can be folded if you want to save space.
It is a space-saving gas grill that weighs 82.5 lbs. and has four casters, two of which can be locked to keep the appliance in place during use.
- Offered at a very affordable price
- A compact design with a small footprint
- 2 stainless steel burners and a stainless steel lid and UFC
- Porcelain-coated, cast-iron grates, and a porcelain-coated grease pan
- A cabinet design for neat storage
- Foldable side shelves
- A reliable and easy to use electronic ignition system for the burners
- A swing-away warming rack which can be used for expanding the overall cooking space
- It lacks a side burner, like the 4-burner version of this model has
Top budget option
It has a primary cooking area of 360 square inches which can fit about 15 burger patties at a time. This space can be increased with the help of the swing-away warming rack, which is 24 x 7 inches and will add another 170 square inches to the cooking space.
This budget-friendly gas grill has three inline burners made of stainless steel with Piezo ignition, efficient heat control, and a total BTU production of 30,000 BTUs. The grill has a convection cooking function for even more consistent and better results.
It is built out of sturdy materials which can withstand different weather conditions. The cooking grates are porcelain-coated, and the lid and firebox of the grill are constructed of porcelain-coated steel for added durability.
The propane gas grill has two foldable side shelves to store your grilling tools, condiments, and food.
It has two large wheels for easy mobility and two legs for added stability.
- It is among the least expensive gas grills of this class on the market
- It has a total cooking space is 530 square inches
- The warming rack is 170 square inches and is large enough for toasting the hamburger buns while grilling up to 15 burgers on the main cooking surface
- The Piezo ignition allows for lighting up each burner with a single push of a button
- Its 3 burners have a 30,000 BTU per hour
- The grill can be used for efficient and consistent convection cooking
- There are nifty foldable side shelves
- Its lid and firebox are made of steel which is porcelain coated
- The grate is porcelain coated for easy cleanup
- It doesn’t have a temperature gauge on the lid
Top portable option
The Weber Q2200 is among the few gas grills by the famous German company, which falls within the $300 budget. It also happens to be the top choice for a portable gas grill for 2022.
The size of this portable grill is 15.5 (H) x 51.4 (W) x 19.5 (D) with the tables out and the lid closed, and it will easily fit in a car trunk.
It works with disposable LP cylinders but can also be connected to a standard 20 lbs. tank with an optional hose and adaptor. The single stainless steel burner can produce 12,000 BTUs per hour.
The lid and body of this portable gas grill are lightweight and yet sturdy because they are made of cast aluminum.
Its cooking grates are made of cast iron which has been porcelain-enameled. The cooking area is 280 square inches.
Even though it is compact and portable, the gas grill is easy to use, thanks to the electronic ignition, the folding side tables, and the easy-to-clean removable grease catch pan.
Overall, the Weber Q2200 is a leading choice if you want a gas grill that you can take camping, hunting, or fishing with you and which costs under $300.
- It is compact and weighs only 41.4 lbs. making it a fantastic option for camping, picnics, and all outdoor trips
- It has a generous cooking area of 280 square inches which is larger than that of most portable propane gas grills
- The porcelain-enameled cast iron grids are easy to clean and will leave beautiful grill marks on the meat
- There is a built-in temperature gauge on the lid
- The electronic ignition system will make lighting the burner a breeze in all-weather conditions
- The folding side tables are very convenient for storing the food, condiments, and grilling tools
- It has two comfortable, and large side handles for easy portability
- The grill is less expensive than the other Weber gas grills
- The cooking area is not as large as that of the other gas grills on this list
It only has one burner, so it is not as versatile as other larger gas grills
- You will need to buy the adaptor and hose for a 20 lbs. propane tank or other accessories such as a portable cart separately
Related: A comprehensive Weber Q2200 Review
The rest of the finest selection
- Four burners of 11,000 BTUs each, providing a total of 44,000 BTUs per hour
- The main cooking space is 443 square inches, and there is a warming rack that adds another 167 square inches to the usable cooking area
- Its grates are made of heavy-duty cast iron, which retains the heat well and evenly, and will leave beautiful grill marks on your burgers
- There are large side shelves for storage which are 18 x 13 inches each
- The lid and the control panel are made of stainless steel, which not only looks great but will last long
- Each burner comes with its own control knob for ignition and temperature control, which makes it possible to use the two-zone cooking method on the grill
- The grill comes with a hose for connecting it to a 20 lbs. propane tank
- There is a built-in bottle opener on one of the side tables
- Its lid has a built-in temperature gauge
- The grill is backed by a 3-year warranty
- It is rather bulky and not as portable as some of the other grills on the list
- It is well under $300
- The main grilling area is 438 square inches, and there is a 192 square inch warming rack plus a side burner
- Its three main burners produce 40,800 BTUs, and the side burner another 12,000 BTUs
- The cooking grates are made of porcelain-coated cast iron and are easy to clean
- There is a side burner that can be converted into another side shelf when it is not in use
- The other side shelf has hooks for your grilling tools
- Its frame and shelves are made of resilient steel
- Thanks to the electronic ignition system, you can turn each of the burners on instantly
- The grill weighs 88 lbs. and has large wheels for easy portability
- Some users may find the assembly of this grill slightly complicated
How to choose the right gas grill for under $300
Grill Grate Material
Stainless steel is among the best and most resilient options when it comes to grill grate material.
Another commonly used material is cast iron which retains the heat well.
Porcelain-enameled grates will prevent the food from sticking and are easier to clean after use.
Thicker cooking grates retain the heat better than thinner ones and are better for achieving great grill marks on the meat
Read further and find out which is the best type of grill grates material?
BTU Level/Heat Flux
The BTU is the measure for the energy or fuel required for heating up 1lb. of water by one degree. It is the combination of the BTU that the burners produce and the cooking area which is more relevant. This is referred to as heat flux and is the delivery ratio of the BTU per square inch of cooking space. Look for a gas grill with a good balance between overall cooking space and total BTU.
It is essential to pick the gas grill which has the best features available for the money you have set for the purchase of such an appliance. In other words, look for a grill that is large enough, powerful enough, versatile, and with added extras that are as close to the $300 you have prepared for it.
Number of Burners/Cooking Size
The cooking size of the gas grill should correspond to the number of people you will be cooking for and to the food item sizes. Keep in mind that the burgers or other foods need to be placed at a distance of at least ½ inch of each other on the grates. So, pick a grill which has twice the size you need.
As for the burners – the more burners a grill has, the more versatile it will be. With 2 or more burners, you can easily set up a two-zone cooking space for low and slow cooking and for searing at the same time.
Some of the grills on our list even have a separate side burner, which is a convenient feature worth considering.
If you have limited outdoor space or storage space, or need a grill that you can take camping with you, then look for a lighter and portable option like the Weber Q2200.
The cart-style gas grills are also easy to move around thanks to their wheels but are not as easy to take with you when traveling.
Some of the cabinet-style gas grills take up little floor or ground space which makes them suitable for smaller outdoor spaces.
So, think about whether you need to move the grill and whether you have space to use it and store it before choosing the most suitable one for your needs.
Shelving and Storage Space
While the storage space is not the most important feature, it helps if the gas grill has side shelves and tables or added storage under the grill itself. This will allow you to store the propane tank, your grilling accessories, your condiments, as well as which you can use for preparing the food for grilling or smoking. Some grills have hooks for the tongs and other grill tools.
You can also check our list for the best gas grills under $500
As you can see from our list, there are some excellent gas grills which you can buy for under $300.
We hope that you have found the perfect grill for your needs and that soon you will be enjoying your grill and will be wowing your family and friends with deliciously cooked and beautifully seared burgers, steaks, and other meats and foods of your choice.
Related: Best Gas Grills under $400 – Reviews and Buying Guide