If you have been researching what type of grill to buy, you have probably ended up pondering between the two most popular choices – the traditional charcoal grill, which gives that unmatched rich smoky flavor, and the faster, easier to use, adjust and clean propane or natural gas grill.
The reason most likely is due to the ongoing online and offline heated discussion and dispute between the fans of each kind of grill about which option is better.
The good news is that there are gas charcoal combo grills that work with both fuel types and which can offer the benefits of grilling using charcoal and gas all in one unit. This is the perfect choice for those of you who have not decided which side to take in this charcoal vs. gas dilemma.
Even if they are not the most affordable alternative, gas-charcoal combo barbecues are still less expensive than purchasing two high-quality individual grills. Additionally, they are a space-saving solution because one of these adaptable combination grills eliminates the need for outdoor or storage space for two separate barbecues.
If you have made up your mind to purchase a device of this nature, continue reading to see which of these combination barbecues made our list of the best gas-charcoal combo grills for 2022.
For your reference, we have also included a section with the benefits and drawbacks of this kind of barbecue.
The Best Gas and Charcoal Combination Grills for 2022
Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill
Char-Griller’s premium quality charcoal and gas combo grill will provide you with the best features and advantages of both types of grills.
It offers a simple yet ingenious solution for those pitmasters who want to have a choice between gas and charcoal grills in one appliance – it is setting a grill of each type one next to the other.
The combination grill offers a generous 1,260 square inch grilling, BBQ, smoking, and cooking space.
It includes a 40,800 BTU propane grill with three stainless steel gas burners and electronic ignition. These gas burners can easily and quickly achieve a temperature of up to 500 degrees.
The charcoal cooking area offers a 580-square-inch main area and an added warming rack.
The cast-iron cooking grates are porcelain coated and can be adjusted in height above the charcoal for easy temperature control, and there is a chrome-plated warming rack as well. The grill comes with a nifty grate lifter.
There is an added fold-away 12,000BTU gas side burner to keep the sauces hot or to add to the total cooking area.
This combo grill has a double-insulated base which helps keep the heat in and thus reduces fuel consumption.
The unit has a stainless steel temperature gauge and an easy-to-clean and dumps ash pan, making the cleaning after use easy and mess-free.
The entire grill is made of rust-proof heavy-duty stainless steel. Its size is 60 x 25 x 50 inches and weighs 144 lbs.
The dual-fuel grill includes a condiment basket as well as a double bottom for storing your tools, food, beverages, and whatever you need for your grilling session.
- The grill provides a very generous cooking space, which can be expanded or reduced depending on your needs.
- The electric gas starters make starting the grill more effortless than ever.
- It has added side burners and heating racks.
- There is a lot of storage space around and under the two grills.
- The gas burners have a high BTU output and can reach up to 500 degrees quickly, which is perfect if you want to prep your food as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- It is quite bulky, so it is not as portable as other regular grills.
- It can be difficult to assemble for some users.
Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal/LP Gas/Smoker Combo
This dual fuel Oklahoma Joe’s combo grill is another popular choice among pitmasters who prefer the versatility of owning a dual-fuel grill.
The grill has an option for using liquefied petroleum gas as well as charcoal and can be used for grilling, smoking, barbecuing, and preparing all kinds of meats and foods.
The Oklahoma Joe’s combo smoker and grill provide a cooking area of 1,060 square inches, including a 50 square inch primary cooking space in the main chamber and an added 310 square inches in the firebox chamber.
The main chamber has six adjustable porcelain-coated grates made of sturdy cast iron.
The gas grilling chamber includes three gas burners of 12,000 BTUs each, which offer a total output of 36,000 BTUs when combined. In addition, there is a 12,000 BTU side burner with a charcoal chimney starter.
The charcoal side of the grill can easily be used as a smoker thanks to its offset firebox, where you can load the charcoal and adjust the smoke and heat via the multiple dampers without exposing the meat or other food directly to the heat.
The combination grill is fitted with two professional temperature gauges to monitor each of the chambers’ temperatures without having to open the lids.
And when you do need to open the lid, you can rest assured because the handles are cool-touch and ergonomic.
The firebox door has an air damper for ventilation and easy cleanup after use.
Overall, this reasonably priced grill will offer you the best of owning a traditional charcoal grill, a powerful gas grill, and an offset smoker all in one.
Since the gas and charcoal cooking surfaces are set side by side, you can easily set up a two-zone cooking set and keep an eye on the food cooking on each side without moving around.
The grill is equipped with a storage shelf for tools and appliances, and there is a large storage area under the cooking chamber for everything you will need for the grilling or smoking.
- It is among the most versatile combo grills and can be used as a charcoal or gas grill as well as an offset smoker – all in one.
- It has an added offset firebox and a side burner
- There is a large cooking space that can be divided into different heat zones and cooking areas.
- There are pro-grade temperature gauges on each lid.
- The handles of the chambers are cool-touch.
- The combination grill size is 31.5 x 50.6 x 74 inches, and it weighs 205 lbs, so it is pretty bulky. The added wheels are not as stable as they can be, so it is not the most portable of units.
Interested in smoker and grill combos? Read our comprehensive reviews here.
Char-Broil Gas2Coal 3-Burner Liquid Propane and Charcoal Hybrid Grill
If our first two top-picks gas-charcoal combo grills for 2022 are too large for your available space, but you still want to own a dual fuel grill, then this Char-Broil coal and liquid propane grill could be the best option for you.
Unlike the previous two grills on the list, this one has a single cooking area, which can easily be converted to a gas or a charcoal grill when needed.
The size of this grill is 24.6 x 52.5 x 47.5 inches, and it weighs 110 lbs. making it easier to move around and allowing it to fit in a tighter space.
The Gas2Coal 3-burner grill has a total cooking area of 420 square inches.
The primary cooking surface is 420 square inches, which can be expanded via the added 120 square inch warming rack.
The three burners have a total output of 40,000 BTUs, and the side burner can add another 12,000 BTUs to meet all of your grilling needs.
The grill itself can switch from charcoal to gas and reverse in less than 60 seconds. This is done by removing the grates and adding the included charcoal tray.
It has sturdy steel burners with cast iron, and porcelain-coated grates, which will withstand years of use and cleaning.
There is a convenient gas ignition system that can be used both for the gas grill and for lighting up the charcoal.
The relatively compact hybrid grill is a perfect appliance for people who want a smaller and more portable combination grill.
It comes with some valuable features and accessories, including built-in temperature gauges, a single push-button ignition system, and a nifty side burner.
- It is lighter and has a smaller footprint than most of the other gas charcoal combo grills.
- The unit is very easy to convert from gas-powered to charcoal in less than 1 minute.
- It has a convenient gas ignition system for both fuel types.
- There is built-in storage for gas and charcoal.
- The added utility shelf and side burner add to its versatility.
- Unlike the previous two grills, which have two separate cooking areas, this one has one, so you cannot set up and use both gas and charcoal simultaneously.
- The overall cooking surface of this dual-fuel grill is more limited than that of the other side-by-side combo grills.
Coyote Centaur 50-Inch Natural Gas/Charcoal Dual Fuel Grill
If you are ready to splurge out on a high-end natural gas and charcoal dual fuel grill, then you should consider investing in the premium Coyote Centaur 50-inch hybrid grill.
This beautiful grill not only looks luxurious but also offers a premium build and features, which you can proudly show off to your friends and other guests.
Its entire construction is made of welded 18-gauge, 304-grade stainless steel, and all of the edges are polished and seamless, and the walls are doubled for better insulation, heat retention, and fuel efficiency.
The side-by-side cooking surface is durable and easy to clean and provides an area of 1,200 square inches, which you can use for making large batches of meat and other food.
The gas chamber has two gas burners with a total output of 40,000 BTUs. The charcoal chamber has heat control grids, an adjustable charcoal tray, and airflow dampers, which will allow you to set the temperature at the desired level for the doneness of your meat every time.
You can also use wood chips for the charcoal side of this excellent combo grill.
You can purchase this grill as a freestanding unit or buy the less expensive built-in model of the Coyote Centaur 50-inch grill.
The size of the freestanding grill is 78.63 x 25.5 x 52.5 inches, and the cooking grid dimensions are 44 x 17 ¼ inches, sufficient for fitting up to 36 burgers.
It has single spark ignition, internal grill lights, built-in thermometers, internal grill lights, as well as side shelves.
As a whole, if you can afford it, this fantastic gas and charcoal hybrid grill is among the best options you will find in 2022.
- This is a premium combo grill that is sturdily and beautifully built, so it will not only look great in your backyard but will also serve you for years to come.
- It is made of premium quality stainless steel, with a welded, seamless, and double-walled construction.
- The finish of the grill is shiny and will become the accent of your outdoor space.
- The burners have a high output of up to 40,000 BTUs.
- It is more expensive than all of the other products on our list.
Check our guide on how to smoke on a gas grill
The Pros and Cons of Gas Charcoal Combo Grills
If you are still wondering whether to buy a hybrid grill or stick to buying a grill of each type separately, you can read on to find out the main pros and cons of these types of dual-fuel appliances. Hopefully, these will help you make an informed decision about the kind of grill to invest in.
- These hybrid grills combine the best of both types of grills. This means that you can enjoy grilling or smoking your meat and food and achieving that unsurpassed smoky and rich flavor of cooking on charcoal. At the same time, you can use it as a faster, easier to use, and clean gas grill. Some models even allow for the combo grill to be used as a smoker or to cook with wood chips, so they can be truly versatile cooking appliances.
- While these combined grills are more expensive than many single-fuel grills, investing in one of these appliances is less expensive than buying two good-quality separate grills of each type.
- These convertible grills can also save space. They will usually take up less space than having two separate standalone grills in your backyard or patio.
- They are usually more expensive than traditional single-fuel grills, and if you find a less expensive hybrid grill, it is very likely that it will not offer the quality of the costlier models. So, if you want a sturdy and reliable combo grill, you should be prepared to spend more money on one.
- Multifunctional appliances are usually not as effective as standalone grills, which are dedicated for use with a single fuel – be it gas or charcoal. As the saying goes – “Jack of all trades, master of none.” Unfortunately, this is true for many of the gas charcoal combo grills offered on the market. So, if you find using a gas grill more convenient, and want a charcoal grill for only occasional use, then you might think about buying a high-end gas grill and adding a budget-friendly charcoal kettle grill to your grill setup instead.
- The cooking space is limited. Even though the majority of the combo grills from our list boast quite generous cooking surfaces, this is true when both the gas and the charcoal cooking areas are used simultaneously. If you are planning on using either the gas or the charcoal side, then the cooking space may not be sufficient for your needs, especially if you are planning on making large batches of food for feeding your family and friends.
- These hybrid grills are usually larger than standard single-fuel grills, especially the models which have the two cooking surfaces side-by-side.
- So, while they are smaller than having two premium quality separate grills, these gas charcoal combo grills are generally larger than owning a single fuel grill.