Over the years, technology has evolved, and the meat smoking industry has not been left out. In the past, smoking meat required you to keep tending flames inside the smoker for you to get the desired product.
Today, thanks to technology, you can prepare your smoked barbecue using an electric smoker.
It’s way better than the traditional charcoal smoker since you can prepare your food in a controlled environment. An electric smoker provides a “set it and forget it” mechanism that even beginner users can easily navigate through.
Simply set the desired temperature and let the smoker take care of the rest. However, you might need to pay special attention to the full smoking procedure.
There are many different types of electric smokers, including ones that can conduct both hot and cold smoking. To create smoke, some people use chips, while others use biscuits or tiny bits. Here are seven of the best electric smokes we can recommend if you’ve been considering buying one.
Masterbuilt MB20071117, 30-Inch Digital Electric Smoker
The Masterbuilt 30-Inch digital electric smoker is an amazing smoker suitable even for first-time users. It has in-built features that are easy to use, and a beginner can easily navigate through its controls without worrying about emitted heat needed from charcoal or an offset smoker.
The Masterbuilt electric smoker has a furnished stainless steel exterior that gives it an aesthetic appearance and makes it easy to clean. Its interior is laced with aluminum to enhance temperature control.
The digital panel that also houses the smoker’s power buttons allows you to adjust temperatures from 100 to 275 degrees Fahrenheit. The integrated thermostat within its system allows for easy regulation of these temperatures.
The control panel also has buttons used for modifying the time you desire for cooking.
This electric smoker quickly gains heat and can maintain the internal temperature over a considerable amount of time. Simply plug in the smoker and enjoy an automatic barbecue smoking experience.
- Has superb body insulation properties. This gives the Masterbuilt electric smoker an upper hand over other smokers as it can maintain a set internal temperature for some time. This feature can help you save on operational costs, particularly during the winter season and windy weather conditions.
- It has a huge cooking space measuring 730 square inches. This size is equivalent to the 22-Inch Weber Smokey Mountain.
- You can easily add more chips as needed while cooking without opening its door. This enhances temperature maintenance while cooking.
- The digital Masterbuilt Smoker can also double up as a cold smoker as it has a cold smoking add-on kit.
- Has a short warranty period of only 90 days.
- It lacks an in-built meat probe that can allow you to set precise cooking temperatures.
- The cooking racks stacked in the cooking area have narrow widths, thus limiting space for larger rib slabs and briskets. You’ll need to cut the ribs and briskets into smaller pieces that can fit in the smoker’s cooking space.
When purchasing this product on Amazon, be sure to check if the model is the latest. Older models don’t provide a clear view of what you’re smoking after about 10 minutes of cooking. They also get dirty quicker. Be keen on the logo imprinted on the smoker to be sure it’s an updated model.
Masterbuilt MB200074719, 40-Inch Bluetooth Digital Electric Smoker
This 40-inch digital electric smoker is an upgrade of the Masterbuilt series with added Bluetooth features. This means you can power up the smoker, regulate its temperature and adjust its cooking time accordingly by simply tapping on your mobile phone. Just establish a Bluetooth connection between your cell phone and the electric smoker, then use an integrated app on your phone to operate it.
This smoker also has a capacity (40 inches) to accommodate extra space for your smoked meats. It also has four chrome-coated adjustable racks in which you can adjust accordingly to fit different sizes of meat.
For example, if you are cooking for many people, you can adjust the racks to make room for more steak. It also has a lighting system which you can switch on to view the food you’re cooking.
The heating element powers up to 1200 watts but has a maximum temperature of 275 degrees Fahrenheit. The operation of its wood chip tray system is quite convenient as you can add more wood chips to the smoker without opening it. This feature helps in maintaining a consistent temperature in the smoker.
- Its large cooking space is definitely a plus for this electric smoker. Its entire cooking space measures 975 square inches and has four racks in which you can place as much steak as you’d like.
- It has wheels on its back to enhance mobility.
- It comes with an in-built meat probe thermometer to help you set your desired temperature for smoking your steak or barbecue.
- The in-built Bluetooth app on the smoker has a limited frequency range (about 12 to 15 feet). It can easily lose connection when out of range or if blocked by walls.
- The app is sometimes faulty. Many people reported random increases in temperature while using the app. However, the latest versions have tried to solve this problem.
Smoke Hollow SH1979518, 30-Inch Digital Black Electric Smoker
The Smoke Hollow 30-inch electric smoker is suitable for buyers who’d like to own a digital smoker but on a favorable budget. It’s a top selection of cost-friendly electric smokers that match up to the standards of more expensive models such as the Masterbuilt and Char-Broil series.
Its 30-inch size allows for only three chrome-coated modifiable racks. This can fit about two turkeys and three racks of briskets and ribs.
The Smoke Hollow digital smoker also has an in-built thermostat that allows you to set the internal temperature of the smoker to best suit your cooking needs.
- Its well-constructed insulation system is too good for a budget-friendly smoker.
- The entire smoking set is easy to put together.
- Unlike the Masterbuilt series, the Smoke Hollow digital smoker requires you to open the wood chip tray in case of reloading extra wood chips. This makes it prone to fluctuating temperatures while cooking.
Smoke Hollow 26142E, 26-Inch Electric Smoker
The 26-inch Smoke Hollow Electric Smoker is the best pick for buyers who are looking for smokers with compact space and can fit in smaller kitchens and small-sized verandahs. It is also suitable if you have a small family or are serving a smaller group of people.
Its price range is almost the same as the basic 30-inch Masterbuilt smoker but still cheaper. Its specifications also match up to the 30-inch Masterbuilt series. So, if you’re looking for a smaller smoker with similar specifications to the 30” Masterbuilt series, this is a good choice.
Its heating element powers up to 1500 watts. It has a cooking capacity of 1.3 cubic feet and features two chrome-coated adjustable grills that can be placed conveniently, at different heights, within the unit.
It’s designed in such a way that its heating element is located at the bottom, and the wooden chip tray, as well as its water pan, sits above it. Its temperature gauge is at the front door. This is unlike superior models whose temperature control systems are mounted on top of the smoker.
The arrangement style of the cabinet is quite simple. It has a spring wire handle and latch door that makes it easy and safe for you to open and close the cabinet without getting burned.
- Has a superior heat control system. With a 1500-watt heating element, the smoker can heat up to 325 degrees Fahrenheit, which is higher than bigger electric smokers in the market.
- Its footprint area (36.5 x 19 x 16.5 inches) has a compact size small enough to fit small verandahs, but its internal cooking area can be adjusted to fit bigger chunks of steaks.
- Setting it up is a simple procedure, and its temperature control system is not complicated. This makes it an appropriate selection for beginner smokers.
- Has a warranty of only 90 days.
- Meat juices drip on the heating element, making it a tedious task to clean it. You can add a wire rack encased in some foil below the second shelf to help catch the dripping meat juices.
The 26-inch Smoke Hollow Electric Smoker is definitely a great pick if you’re looking for a smaller smoker with specifications mimicking the Masterbuilt series.
Char-Broil 17202004, Silver Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker
The Char-Broil Digital Electric Smoker is an excellent choice for you if you want an alternative to the costly Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. It has an equally large cooking area (725 square inches) with four adjustable cooking grates that can accommodate huge chunks of meat and vegetables.
It comes with smarter features such as a food thermometer, grease tray, water storage, and wood chip below the grills to enable smoke into the cooking area. With its digital temperature and timer controls, you can conveniently set your desired temperature and cooking time.
This smoker also comes with a remote control system that you can use to adjust its temperature at the comfort of your home if the smoker is in your backyard. You can also use a meat probe to set the smoker to the required cooking temperature.
It has a strong durable glass door in which you can clearly view and admire your meat, chicken, steak, etc as it cooks inside the smoker. However, be cautious of the heat radiated from the smoker. If you have small children, make sure they don’t go near it.
This smoker weighs 50.2 lbs, measures 16.5 x 18.1 x 32.5 inches, and has a heating element that powers up to 800 watts. Its structure is well built, strong and finished with stainless steel covering that helps it retain consistent heat in the smoker’s cooking chamber.
- The smoker operates on a simple mechanism that’s easy to use. The digital panel comes with an automated temperature control system that’s easy to use.
- It is easy to clean up. The smoker is designed in such a way that its interior components can easily fit in a regular dishwasher thus making cleaning an easy and convenient process.
- Its temperature is readable from a distance.
- The range of its remote control system is limited. This means you have to be near the smoker for it to respond to the remote control gadget.
Cuisinart COS-330, 30-Inch Electric Smoker
This is another 30-inch electric smoker with an amazing design accompanied by a handle that’s heat-insulated to protect you from getting burned while operating it.
It is one of the most purchased electric smokers due to this design that makes it easy to operate. Both beginners and expert chefs looking to sharpen their skills in meat smoking can use this smoker.
The smoking chamber, 548 square inches in size can accommodate three racks that can be adjusted to fit different sizes of meat
Its heating element has a 1500-watt power rating that can heat the smoker up from 100 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit of temperature. You can easily monitor its temperature through its in-built thermometer strategically placed at its front doors.
Its structure is made up of lightweight frames and side handles that make the smoker easy to carry and move from one place to another. The structure is also strong enough with well-tightened seals around its door to minimize heat loss and smoke emission while in use.
- Has a warranty of 3 years from the manufacturers.
- It is affordable.
- It is portable. This is due to its lightweight steel frame structure
- It is easy to use. Beginners won’t get lost trying to figure out how it works.
- Controlling the smoker is purely electric. It doesn’t have digital controls to operate it.
- It only has one door which when opened can interfere with the cooking temperature levels inside the smoker.
Bradley Smoker BTDS76P 990216, Silver Digital 4-Rack Electric Smoker
The Bradley Digital 4-Rack Electric Smoker is the ultimate smoker coming with a sleek silver design that’s aesthetic and measures 14 x 17 x 31 inches with an adjustable height. It’s made using high-quality epoxy stainless steel that’s well-polished giving it a shiny appearance. The best part about this smoker is that it’s easy to set up, operate, clean, and maintain.
This digital smoker features an ingenious wood chip installation system that will blow your mind. It has a sophisticated temperature control system that can smoke your food for up to 8 hours non-stop. It can heat up to a maximum temperature of 320 degrees Fahrenheit. It also has two heating burners installed in it, one that can be used for smoking and the other for heating up food like vegetables.
This smoker also comes with an in-built generator that powers up the digital controls of the smoker in case you experience sudden power cuts. Its storage area has 4 racks which you can adjust accordingly to fit various amounts of meat and vegetables.
- It comes with a one-year warranty from the manufacturers
- It’s portable and easy to use
- Requires minimal monitoring when using it
- The temperature control system is easy to operate
- Cannot heat up effectively in cold areas. It’s best used in areas experiencing warm climates.
Customers have highly rated this product.